Sunday 6 January 2013

Finding Beauty





“The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely.”   
― Louisa May Alcott





I took the picture up above of the feather one day while on a walk with my son. It struck me as lovely somehow; a soft feather on the dry, cracked ground. It was like it was sitting there as a gift undiscovered. A reminder that in the hard, cracked seasons of our life, there is still beauty to be found and nurtured. I remember thinking how easy it would have been to walk past it without even noticing it. 

 I'm very much a cerebral person. I spend a lot of time in my head bouncing thoughts and ideas around, and sometimes just get lost up there. The problem with being a thinker is that it is easy to miss out on the world around me. In my pursuit for answers, I sometimes miss the beauty and refreshment of the simple things in life because I'm indulging in the complex in my brain.

I'm learning to breathe, to pause, and to open my eyes and heart to what is in front of my face --- take in what is around me. Sometimes my head aches from the over thinking I do, or my heart hurts from the burdens of life. That's when I need to stop and be nourished by the astonishing beauty of the simple. It's everywhere. In my daughter's smile. In the sun reflecting off the snow. In the eyes of the one I love. This beauty silences the worries and refocuses the heart on what is truly important. It is a gift from God. A reminder that He has not forgotten us, nor has He forsaken us.


May your eyes be opened to the simple, beautiful gifts around you and may your heart be made full because of it.

2 comments:

  1. A great reminder to those of us who think too much.......Thank you Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Tammie. I would never change the fact that I am a thinker, and I'm sure you would say the same. I just need to learn how to do it in a healthy way that doesn't rob me of the joy and beauty that is around me.

      Delete